An Ellen Martin Photograph
Washington and Lee University Colonnade, Lexington, Virginia
This brick colonnade was built in the 1820’s and has been used for administrative and academic purposes since that time. The school was first named Washington College in honor of George Washington who had provided a substantial endowment in 1796. While president of the college, Robert E. Lee established an honor code, and schools of journalism, business, and law. Lee’s name was added to the school following his death. Ellen Martin photographs are available for purchase at Virginia Born and Bred.